Minimalist fashion has been on the rise in recent years. Minimalist fashion means to have only some loved clothes in your wardrobe. The minimalist approach is about simplicity and owning only what you need and love. This movement is totally opposite from consumerism, which is popular nowadays.. Minimalistic outfits are not only better for the environment but can also have a positive impact on our overall happiness. This article will explain minimalist fashion, how to create a minimalistic style, and provide some wardrobe-essentials.
What is minimalist fashion?
Minimalist fashion is a way of dressing that involves owning a minimal amount of clothes and choosing timeless quality pieces that never go out of style. It’s about creating a wardrobe that can be worn for any occasion without being bogged down by the stress of constantly keeping up with new trends. This style is often associated with dressing modestly and is inspired by simplicity. It can be achieved by selecting items with clean lines, neutral colors, and timeless shapes.
The minimalist approach is also about removing unwanted stuff and only keeping the clothes you need and love. This is where Marie Kondo’s philosophy comes into play. The Japanese organizing consultant advocates for only keeping items that “spark joy” in your life. This means removing clothes that no longer fit, have stains or tears, or are not your style.
How to start a minimalist wardrobe
Here are some step-by-step tips for building a minimalist wardrobe:
- Identify your style. Figure out what clothes make you happy and comfortable. It’s essential to choose clothes that reflect your unique style and lifestyle.
- Invest in staple items. A minimalist clothes style is built on staples that can be worn in different combinations. These include basic tops, bottoms, and outerwear that are flexible and can be mixed and matched.
- Choose timeless pieces. Select timeless pieces that will never go out of style. Neutral colors like black, navy, white, and gray are great choices. Denim is also a classic that can be dressed up or down.
- Mix and match. The key to a minimalist wardrobe is to have a few high-quality pieces that can be worn in different combinations. This means wearing white t-shirts, a black dress, and perfectly fitted jeans.
- Keep it simple. Remember that less is more. Choose timeless shapes and avoid items that are too trendy or faddish. Simple accessories like a classic watch, a leather belt, or a simple necklace can increase elegance to any outfit without overpowering it.
- Choose denim. A fitting pair of jeans can be dressed and worn for years. Opt for a medium wash with a straight or slim leg, and avoid trendy details like excessive distressing or embellishments.
- Choose neutral shades. Best choice of shade colors are black, white, gray, and navy. These versatile colors can be easily mixed and matched to create different outfits. Additionally, they are less likely to go out of style and can be worn for other occasions.
How to dress like a minimalist
If you’re looking to incorporate minimalist style into your daily wardrobe, here are some tips to get started:
- Declutter your closet. Creating a minimalist wardrobe is a process that takes time and effort. The first step is to clean out your closet and take inventory of what you currently have. This means going through every single item of clothing and deciding what to keep and what to donate, sell, or throw away. The idea is to hold each item you own and ask yourself if it sparks joy. If it doesn’t, it’s time to say goodbye. The goal is to have a curated and intentional wardrobe rather than cluttered and overwhelming.
- Set your personal style. Once you have sorted through your wardrobe, it’s time to discover your personal style and create unique looks. This means finding inspiration in minimalistic fashion blogs, magazines, or social media. However, it’s important to remember that personal style is subjective, and what works for someone else may not work for you. It’s essential to identify what you like and what makes you happy and use that as the foundation for your wardrobe.
- Shop sustainably. Another critical aspect of building a minimalist clothes style is to shop sustainably. Fast fashion is a significant contributor to environmental pollution and social injustice. Instead of buying cheap, low-quality clothes, invest in quality pieces that will last a lifetime. Choose sustainable fashion and brands that prioritize ethical production and environmental stewardship.
- Stick to a color palette. A minimalist wardrobe is all about neutral colors like black, white, gray, and navy. Stick to these shades to create a cohesive and versatile wardrobe that can be mixed and matched easily.
- Invest in quality over quantity. Instead of buying a lot of cheap and trendy clothes, invest in timeless quality pieces that you will wear for years. These items may be more expensive upfront but will last longer and save you money in the long run.
- Mix and match. To create multiple outfits with a minimal amount of clothes, focus on mixing and matching your custom made clothing. Neutral colors make this easy, as they can be paired with almost anything.
- Embrace simplicity. Remember, less is more. Choose timeless shapes and styles that flatter your body and suit your style. Find tips how to dress your body type. Opt for simple accessories and avoid excessive embellishments or details.
Minimalistic style wardrobe essentials
Here are some examples of versatile minimalist staples that can be worn for any occasion:
1. White t-shirts
A classic white t-shirt is a must-have in any minimalist wardrobe. It can be dressed and paired with anything from jeans to skirts.
2. Black dress
A black dress is a timeless piece every minimalist should own. It can be worn to formal events, weddings or even dressed down for a more casual look.
Basic pieces like a well-fitted pair of jeans or a simple black blazer are essential for any minimalist outfits. They can be mixed and matched with other items in your closet to create various looks.
Denim is a versatile fabric that can be dressed up or down. A good pair of denim jeans or a denim jacket can last for years and always stay in style.
5. Simple accessories
Accessories can also be minimalist staples in your wardrobe. Simple jewelry like a classic watch, a pair of stud earrings, or a delicate necklace makes your outfit elegant without being too flashy or distracting. Opt for a neutral-colored leather handbag that can be used for work or everyday wear, and choose a versatile scarf or wrap to add some dimension and texture to your outfits.
6. Quality clothing
Remember, the key to a modern minimalist fashion for women is choosing quality over quantity. Invest in timeless, high-quality pieces that will last a lifetime and can be worn for any occasion.
7. Classic trench coat
Another essential item to add to your minimalist wardrobe is a classic trench coat. A trench coat is a timeless piece that never goes out of style and can elevate any outfit. Opt for a neutral color like beige, khaki, or black, and choose a high-quality material like cotton or wool for durability.
8. Perfect shoes
When it comes to shoes, focus on quality over quantity. Choose versatile styles that can be worn for multiple occasions, like classic black leather boots, simple sneakers, and a pair of dressy heels. Look for shoes made from high-quality materials that will last longer, and choose neutral colors like black, brown, or white that can be easily paired with any outfit.
Minimalistic fashion is all about simplicity, quality, and personal style. By focusing on a minimal amount of clothes you need and love, investing in timeless, high-quality pieces, and choosing understated, versatile styles, you can create a minimalist wardrobe that makes you happy and impacts your overall happiness.
By following the tips and step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can start building a minimalist wardrobe that is sustainable, stylish, and will last a lifetime. Remember, less is more, and the simpler, the better in a minimalist fashion style.